07 July 2011

Emails make the world go round

You know that saying “money makes the world go round” – it is so WRONG. Emails make the world go round.

When I got into the magazine business, no one told me I would be sending hundreds of emails daily, true story. Being on my 98th email today, I feel like I accomplished a lot. It becomes you and it’s what you do.

I have had to learn that every time you get frustrated with people, you have to calm yourself down, and say what you need to say, as politely as possible. Stuff does last forever on the net. When I opened my emails today, I was pretty impressed to see that four of the people I had requested things from, actually replied!

The thing about being a journalist is that for the most part, you rely on the computer in front of you and the telephone to your right. It’s so much easier (and more efficient) when people just reply to your emails, or answer their phones *angry tone*. This is the digital (and almost paperless) age, and people in all industries should get with the times. Plus, one of the things I love the most about my job is saying “You’re speaking to Nandipha from seventeen magazine!” on the phone – ha ha, it’s priceless.

Emails do make the world go round, but if you don’t reply, my world stops turning. People who reply to emails (soon) are the fabulous darlings who make my work so much easier!

xoxo
Nandi

No comments:

Post a Comment