06 July 2011

As the feature grows, so does the writer

I’m working on my feature and it’s like taking care of a baby kitten for the first time.

You’re excited about it, you absolutely love it and it fills you with so much pride to see it grow even though it frustrates you at times. No matter how many times your fury bundle of joy pees on your carpet, you would never give it away!
Announcement: listen carefully because you don’t want to miss this. I am happy to announce that my first feature for seventeen magazine looks promising. To quote my editor Khwezi ,“It’s going somewhere.” Yay!!!

Writing for seventeen magazine and getting guidance from the editor, and the deputy editor Jess is amazing. The experience is priceless and you get to work with the loveliest people.
When learning to write for seventeen, you learn how to talk seventeen and how to be fabulously seventeen! No seriously, it’s a valuable writing experience that you will never forget.

At school and varsity, you learn how to write a particular way, or you choose to stick to a certain way of writing. Interning at seventeen is like going to a new school, where you’re taught another style of writing, (one which I can say is totally O.T.H or off the hook).
Most importantly though, you learn how to take critique and make yourself a better writer.

I guess my experience here links to the feature I’m writing about alternatives to going to the traditional university. One of the alternatives is doing an internship, at a workplace where you would like to see yourself one day.

Doing my internship here is not only teaching me how to write features, it’s also teaching me about fashion, design and using social media for research.
Watching my feature develop is amazing, but watching myself develop as a magazine journalist is a one in a million experience.
xoxo
Nandi

No comments:

Post a Comment