05 July 2011

Am I still dreaming??

It was 3:30am when I heard the dreaded sound of my phone’s alarm go off, waking me from my sweet dream about Ian Somerhalder (sigh). Instead of hitting the snooze button and immersing myself back into a slumber, I jumped out of bed and felt immediately ready to begin the epic journey to Cape Town for my week-long internship at my favourite magazine. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t still dreaming!

Walking in to seventeen magazine HQ this morning, I must admit I felt a bit like Ugly Betty, mostly because I probably looked like a mess after sitting on an airplane for two hours and trudging through cold winds to get to the offices. But nevertheless, after my confusing trip up the elevator, I was greeted by a bunch of smiling faces, and after a couple of friendly introductions, all my nerves disappeared and I felt like I’d finally found where I was meant to be – cheesy I know, but true!

Khwezi, the editor of seventeen, gave her ‘opening speech’ and introduced the rest of the seventeam to the new interns. Meeting Khwezi was like meeting a real-life celebrity. I’d seen her picture in the front of every issue of seventeen, but seeing her standing in front of me... I felt completely star-struck! Anna Wintour had me thinking that all magazine editors were, well, bitchy, but Khwezi definitely shattered that stereotype!

The awesome digital editing team, including Kerry and Jennifer , told me about the digi side of the mag. Kerry showed me how the website worked, and how to update this wonderful blog. I had to write my first gossip article, on Mr Hotness himself Zac Efron, which was so much fun! I spend way too much of my time online, and I’m celebrity crazed, so I had no complaints on putting together a gossip quickie, I can’t wait to write more!

Being in Matric this year, I’m hoping this experience will help me decide what I should study next year. I’ve always wanted to work in the media, but I’ve never had the chance to find out if working in the fast-paced world of print media is really for me, so I’m so extremely grateful to be presented with this amazing opportunity! I really can’t wait to get a good night’s sleep and wake up, not at 3:30am, tomorrow morning ready for another day living my dream!

Love & Lipgloss
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment