12 July 2010

So Long, Farewell...

Having to say goodbye is always emotional on some level. Whether you’ve known someone your whole life, a week or just one day, some emotional heartfelt pain always follows the words “goodbye”.
Four of the interns, Kayla, Lezanne, Ashleigh, Jodi and, my partner in crime, Danelle, are leaving the 17 Internship Academy today. I’m going to miss our lunches, joking around and random photo sessions. It’s amazing how quickly you become friends with people you never thought you’d ever meet. Thank goodness for e-mail and Facebook. ☺
There were actually two farewells today. The one was for two employees that also work in the building and the other was for the 17 interns. We went down stairs and had some really good snacks. Then we came up and bid the four girls farewell.
On the work front: Danelle edited my work and I did hers. She’s a really talented, witty writer. Next week is looking up. There’s an iPod Touch launch that Jessica Manim (the deputy ed) has invited another girl and I to. Then there might be a potential car launch that I might go to (but I don’t have my driver’s so I might not). Mom, you were right I should’ve gotten it when I was still young ☺ hehe
Danielle gave all of us a farewell present but she also bought me a bottle of Evian water. It’s an inside joke but trust that I’ll use it well.
I’m planning on having an amazingly restful weekend. Next week we’re also getting a few more additions to the 17 Intern Academy. It should be fun. They should make this into a series and call it “The Academy”.
– Rutendo, Editor intern

The last day… A day of mixed emotions… I came in a bit earlier this morning to put the finishing touches on my article. Reading it for the last time was quite nerve wrecking… Will they like it? Will they think it’s horrible? The thing is, there’s really nothing more you can do about it. I’ve worked really hard on it and I gave it my best shot, so all I can do is hope for the best.
I got each of my fellow intern-lunch-buddies of the past week and a half a mini Lindt box of chocolates and wrote them each a note. I can’t believe how close we’ve become in just a week and half! I’m going to miss goofing off with them! I spent the morning finding pictures to go with my article and editing Rutendo’s career piece. It’s really good: I think you guys will love it. Then we had our “goodbye” party. :’( We had cupcakes and other nice snacks and then we each got a goodie bag! It was really sad saying goodbye to the seventeam and the other interns.
I decided to look through all of the photos of the past week and a half…
Trying to put my experience into words is like trying to nail jelly to a tree: impossible. It’s really been AH-mazing. I can’t believe today was my last day. I’ve learnt so much about the whole magazine industry and what this job really is about. Working with Zainab, Jess and Khwezi has been one great learning experience.
Great friends, writing, photos, lots of laughs, research and learning: I’m taking incredible memories back home with me. I came here with the idea that I might want to work as a journalist one day, and I can honestly say I’m leaving here knowing that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
– Danelle, Editorial intern

It’s my last day… AAW!!! I’m so sad to have to leave here. But I put on my happy face and carried on through the day. I started out with a search for more celebrity pictures and after that we had a goodbye meeting with lots of snacks and treats. Then we came upstairs to receive our certificates and amazing goody bags. I feel so lucky words can’t even begin to describe it! After that we held a mini photo shoot and got some awesome pictures out of it that will make brilliant reminders of my experience here. Choking back tears, I headed back to my desk to search for pictures one last time before saying goodbye to this unforgettable experience. Thank you to everyone involved and to those that I met during my stay here at Seventeen. You’ll all hold a special place in my heart forever…
– Kayla, Art Director intern

I spent most of the morning looking for more references for our hair makeovers piece and sorting more beauty products that Genevieve received – every different kind of hair accessory you could think of from Cosmic Options was there! I also read through Danelle’s piece on TV careers, which is really well done and interesting. It’s crazy how over-glamourised TV shows are nowadays.
At lunchtime, the whole office (including the NG Kids and NG Traveller teams that share the offices with seventeen) gathered round to say goodbye to two of the staff members. We had lots of yummy snacks like cupcakes and sweeties and then went upstairs to say goodbye to the interns who were leaving. They each got given a goodie bag (can’t wait for mine!) and we took some more photos! I am so sad to see them go.
Now it’s the weekend, and while the Seventeen are off for some team-building, I’m off for some R&R! ☺
– Jess, Beauty intern

So, today is my last day interning here at seventeen. I’m going to miss it so much especially lunch with Rutendo, Danelle, Jess and Kayla. Aww (tear, tear)
The interview yesterday went really well except for me being exceptionally nervous. I have really enjoyed working with everyone here at seventeen especially Delene, the entertainment editor.
Oh how I’d love to stay, but unfortunately I gotta go ☹ We got awesome goodie bags ( I haven’t looked in mine yet) If they offer another internship next year, I would encourage everyone to apply. It is sooo much fun and you get to meet really interesting people. Just one thing to remember: Don’t be late on your first day!! (Like I was) lol
I will really miss it here ☹
– Lezanne, Entertainment intern





No comments:

Post a Comment