16 July 2010

A Dull Day? Never!

I can now count my days left working at seventeen on one hand… I can’t believe my internship is almost over! It makes me sad to think that very soon, I won’t be walking through the door of 8 Ink Media, passing the giant Taylor Lautner poster, climbing the clangy metal stairs and greeting the ever-friendly seventeam every morning. These past two weeks have been such an incredible, insightful and energizing experience and I don’t want to have to leave.
So about that heavy box of beauty products I mentioned yesterday… I got very brave and thought I’d try lifting it today. Wow! That did not go down well – I almost dropped it! I spent most of the morning sorting out the products into different piles of lipstick, hair products, skincare, eye shadows, etc. and then putting them into separate boxes.
The next hour or so, was spent with my ear to the phone as I tried my best to get hold of the last few couples for the “Best Boyfriend” feature and the girls who are getting their hair made over tomorrow. Needless to say, I failed miserably. No answer. No voicemail. No nothing.
One good thing though: I got another half day today because Genevieve has a launch this afternoon – on a yacht (lucky her!) ☺


The awesome seventeen Beauty cupboard... Wish I could have one of these at home!

The day started out really great. Firstly, writing my learner’s exam was NOT fun at all but passing it was awesome! I really didn’t think I would actually make it, but I did and VOILA! Yours truly is now a learner driver haha!
I didn’t really expect the day to get any better after that, but was I in for a real treat. Later on in the day Jess, Rutendo and I attended the iPod Touch launch at the V&A Waterfront. It was AWESOME!
We were greeted by Taryn from the iPod team and asked to join the quiz that was about to take place. We were also given a Demo iPod Touch and it was exciting to use the apps, although we kept struggling to make them work! Lol… However, Jess, Rutendo and I ended up coming 2nd in the competition with 46 points! Whoo hoo!
– Shakirah, editorial intern


Jess and Rutendo testing out the new iPod Touch

Today I did quite a lot of research for the fashion pages for the October issue. I also helped pack out clothes that had arrived from different companies and that we’ll be using in the shoots next week. I went along to source at Lipsy for the metallic shoot and there were there some beautiful garments.
Today was a little quieter than usual but just as different and interesting as any other!
– Angie, fashion intern


All these beautiful clothes... Sigh!

Today started off slow with not much to do. I get here first and leave here last (gosh, is that how much I love this place?) haha! Stacey gave me some more work to lay out. I’m currently laying out the health pages, giving it my personal touch but obviously sticking to the seventeen house style and trying my best not to get carried away. It’s just the health section after all. At lunch I decided to take a walk into town. Looked for some more celeb pictures too: to find a really good or appropriate one is kinda difficult. One can actually spend the whole day doing this but I enjoy it… the life of a graphic designer… Aah!
– Donae, art director intern


Donae with the new GIANT poster of the July/August issue cover

No comments:

Post a Comment