05 July 2010

Getting Stuck In!

The first week of the 17 Intern Academy arrived way too fast for us! The group has gotten down to business pretty quickly and are all hard at work on their assignments, helping the seventeam create the October issue of seventeen.


Rutendo hard at work - shortly before her screen collapsed!


This morning I thought I was going to be late for work, but turns out I was early. Four of the interns, including myself, were all wearing some sort of blue. We were matching, but we didn’t plan it (I guess great minds dress alike). Later, while I was typing away happily, the screen fell over and the stand broke! The computer is a Mac so I was in quite a bit of shock and my heart went over the beat limit. The staff came to help me all a little shocked as well. I sort of didn’t know what to say, all I know is it fell on it’s own. I’m still using it. It’s held up by a box and presstick (old school).

At the moment I’m working on two of my four stories, one is on careers and the other is a fashion piece with fashion ed Taugheedah’s assistant, Bianca. The piece is about fashion in the work place. We also had a really interesting chat about the fashion industry and how she started working.

I’m off to have a great weekend. I’ve got some work to do and a little research carry out, but it doesn’t seem like work to me.

See you on Monday.
-Rutendo, editor's intern


Today was so great. I finally met the entertainment editor of seventeen – she’s been off sick - and she is really nice. I will be working with her over this next week. This morning she gave me a stack of CDs and a few books that I have to review. So, I spent my whole day finishing my tasks from yesterday and listening to all the CDs. I only managed to listen to 4 today. Well, I know what I’ll be doing this weekend. Lol ☺

We also had a meeting this afternoon, which was really cool. The seventeam is soooo funny. I loved every bit of this day. Too bad it’s Friday and I can only come back on Monday. I am really glad that I am a part of this internship because I can finally see what goes on behind the scenes of seventeen magazine and the other interns are really cool people. I love this job! ☺

- lezanne, entertainment ed's intern


Danelle and Rutendo discuss an article

When I got home yesterday, I was exhausted. I wanted to take a half an hour nap and then go jogging, but the half an hour nap turned into 3 hours - I never thought working could be so fun and so tiring at the same time! When I got here this morning, I immediately started doing research for my article. I kind of had no idea where to start, so I was really grateful when Zainab, the junior copy editor, asked me to go with some of the staff on the coffee run. Caffeine is always a good! After my cappuccino, doing research was a breeze and I suddenly felt really inspired, hehe. I spent the afternoon writing, doing research and laughing (especially when Rutendo’s screen fell over… hehe, it wasn’t her fault, but it was really random. Someone needs to phone Apple!!). It’s been fun, BUT I’m glad it’s Friday. Can’t wait to see what next week will be like - I have a feeling I might need to get some sleep this weekend!

- danelle van rensburg, editorial's intern


Jodie at her Mac.

So I have arrived waaaaaay to early once again and I am sure that the staff must think that I am a little whack for being here before everyone else, but there never seems to be traffic when I travel… My day started off with Kerry, who works on the digital team, asking me if I would like to be in the magazine by making a comment on going green. Obviously I said yes! I mean, how could I refuse? Next it was off to a meeting with the Marketing Department, where we discussed the upcoming survey for National Geographics Kids (NG Kids). The meeting was interesting and it felt amazing to be able to give my input to the concept of the survey and actually have the staff approve of my ideas. After the meeting things mellowed down a bit… it must be because it is Friday. For the rest of the day I just made a few phone calls to the winners of the NG Kids competition and surfed the Net. The phone calls were quite special, especially since I got to speak to one of the winners, Lisa Viret, and she was so excited to be the winner of the competition and receiving her prize. It feels good when you are able to make some else happy.

- Jodie, PR's intern

No comments:

Post a Comment