14 July 2010

The New Kids... :)


17 Intern Academy Introduces some new faces...


“A wise man once said: ‘Choose a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in you life again’ and that’s exactly what I am doing. That’s right, I’m at 17 magazine HQ, South Africa, and it is absolutely awesome to be here. Not only is that awesome but to see where the magic happens is amazing.
I will be here for two weeks working with the art director, Stacey, putting together the October issue. My task for the day was to get images that’ll be used in the mag, page through other countries issues of 17 to get some visual stimulation and a good feel for this industry.
The girls interning with me are really friendly and fit into the seventeam quite well… who knows, we could be the ones taking over next haha. With that said, being here (is it real? pinch me!!) just makes me realise that nothing’s impossible and I feel like I am a step closer to where I really wanna be: the fashion and magazine industry.
Can’t wait for tomorrow and the next day and the next…
Looking forward to the time I will be spending here, the experience, the friendships to be made… in a nutshell: the memories.”
– Donae, Art Director intern

“You know what I love most about Tuesdays? Nothing really. I think it’s just there so Monday won’t feel so close to Wednesday.
I’m in the final stages of finishing the careers flow chart, unofficially titled Road… Chart after school and the careers spread sheet, unofficially titled My Career is better that yours. I’m so excited to see the end product, but more excited to ‘put them to bed’ (just a little journalism lingo).
Tonight I’m going to go through my second batch of Seventeen Magazines that I’m reading through for the Media24 Magazines Excellence awards. I must admit I’ve never been able to say that I had to read through magazines as my job… I do that for fun ☺
I also spent more time with the new girls today, who by the end of the week I’ll stop addressing them as the new girls. They all seem like nice people. I must admit that I do miss the others. Would’ve been cool to all be here at once, 10interns one time☺
But such is life that we can’t control change, we can only embrace it.”
– Rutendo, Editor intern

“Well I'm almost nearing the end of Day 2, and it's been quite an experience. Yesterday I met Deputy Editor Jessica Manim, the person I will be reporting to and interning under for the next two weeks.
The day started off slow and easy as I took the first strides up Somerset Road in Green Point, looking for the 8 ink media offices of seventeen magazine for my 17 Intern Academy Programme. I entered the seventeen offices and was greeted by a lovely receptionist who immediately made me feel at home. The vibe here at seventeen is awesome. Not what I expected, but it will most definitely pick up.
My first assignment for the day included searching through past copies of seventeen and checking out the HOTTEST fashions. Well, I can tell you one thing... I am overwhelmed by the beauty products they have right here!!!! Like a mini cosmetics department(every girls heaven) lol...
My last assignment for the day was to come up with an idea that will be used in the October Issue, "17's Girls Guide to Life".
So day 2 has come to an end and it has been a blast! I met the rest of the team today in what was also my first meeting here at the magazine. I also met the Editor Khwezi Magwaza in the process of it all and I just love her way of doing things. Working on my feature for the October issue of seventeen went better than expected. I came with some cool ideas for the GGL section. It has been quite a slow day though, however I bet tomorrow will bring more surprises and more fun!”
– Shaakirah, Editorial intern

No comments:

Post a Comment