15 July 2010

Random mo's, shoots and making the most of it all

Hey! So it’s day 3 of my 17 internship and so far, so good. My friends and family all keep telling me to make the most of the opportunity and I intend on doing just that with my time here. The experience in the office has been unlike any I’ve experienced before. I have not, as yet, gone out into the field. However, tomorrow we will do just that.
What a rainy and COLD day it was indeed. I was a TINY bit late… okay, it was by a half an hour! But with good reason: I was drenched!
My tasks for the day were to complete my piece for the GGL and to look up some ideas for my VOICE OUT article that Jess wants me to write for October’s issue. I’m excited but haven’t come up with a very good idea yet.
I took some cool pics in the office today with Donnae (another intern). Random moments are always the best (SMILE and say CHEESE!) hehe…
– Shakirah, editorial intern

Gearing up for a BIG day at the seventeen offices.

What a day! Full, new and really interesting. I went with the fashion team to a still shoot at Digital Image Studios in Cape Town where we did a shoot on what one could take along in their hand bag on their first day at a new job. It was great to see how the process works, what the studios look like, how the photographer operates as well as how meticulous the fashion team is about how they lay out the products to make sure its photographed perfectly.
Later on in the day the fashion team and I attended an event by Poetry for their new spring/summer range. That was a great experience. It was interesting too see how the fashion team is spoilt when they go to events: treats and goody bags are one of the perks of the job. Poetry’s new range is also really stunning with a very Grecian, luxurious and relaxed feel to their range.
I learnt a lot today and again it hasn’t been anything like the first two days, which is wonderful because I’m experiencing something new each day!
– Angie, fashion intern

Laying it all out... it's close-up time!

Yikes, today was freezing! Luckily, the Seventeen offices are so nice and warm. I had to strip down half my layers when I arrived this morning.
After a very relaxing day off, I was put straight back to work and spent most of the morning sorting out more products for the beauty sale. The box is overflowing and I don’t even want to try picking it up – not that I’ll be able to!
I did some phoning around for Genevieve and then filed some press releases of new products as well as all the z-cards of models that have come for castings over the past few months. Wow, some of those girls are really beautiful!
Lunch was spent at my desk (well, Rutendo’s desk seeing that I don’t have one anymore and she wasn’t here today), browsing Facebook because it was too cold to go outside! Afterwards, Gen asked me to do some photocopying for her and then to phone all the couples we’ll be using in the “Best Boyfriend” special (coming up in the October issue) to confirm that they’re available for their photo shoot on Tuesday. They all sound really excited – even the boys!
– Jess, beauty intern

Studi0 time... hope those hotties are ready to be photographed ;)

Finally I got to see how a ‘still shoot’ is done. Taugheedah (the fashion ed), Bianca ( the fashion assistant), Angie (the fashion intern) and I headed down to the studios to get some shots of what a girl needs to have in her bag. Angie and I helped with carting the products that were photographed, cut off tags from them and also gave our input on what could be shifted here or there. It didn’t take very long to do and everything ran smoothly. Afterwards, the photographer showed us what the spread will more or less look like once published and (being a visual person) I could already picture the published result.
Tried getting some more pictures to use in the mag and then got down to business… MY business: design and layout. I layed out the health section and it was fun playing around with colour and text, and placing of images. I just hoping my layout will impress Stacey and that it’s used =)
Tomorrow we’re off to the iPhone launch but that’s a whole other story to tell…
– Donae, art director intern


Oooh... get me some of those goodies for my bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment