06 July 2010

No Blue Mondays at 17 HQ

“The dreaded Monday morning curse hit me this morning as I got out of bed. I really didn’t want to get up out of my warm, cozy bed and start the day. I dragged myself to the bathroom to get ready and then headed off to work. I must admit, I wasn’t too enthusiastic about it. Then I entered the building and the casual, fun air hit me and I couldn’t help but feel energised and eager to work.
I got my first assignment today where I was allowed to come up with ideas all by myself. So I dug right in and spent the entire morning coming up with creative designs for next year’s seventeen diary. I really enjoyed doing that and the excitement filtered through every creative bone in my body. Then it was time for lunch and the interns went to strut their stuff out in the city. Okay, so it was more like walking to a nearby Spar and back, but everything I do here just seems so much more glamorous that I can’t help but exaggerate.
After we got back I looked through some US issues of seventeen to find pictures for the diary. Then a few of the other interns and myself started to get itchy feet and decided to have our own photo shoot. We pulled out a few poses around the office and then it was back to work.
And so another day draws to a close. I can’t believe I’ll have to go back to school after this. It’s going to be such a drag compared to this. I guess I’ll just have to enjoy every moment I have left of this amazing opportunity…”
– Kayla, art director intern


Kayla and Rutendo having "a moment" with June cover star, Taylor Lautner




“Walking into the offices today, I felt like a grown-up going to work. It felt really awesome to think that this could one day be my job. (I know it’s going to take really hard work and effort to get there, but it would be worth it!) We started today with a meeting to discuss how far we all are with our different stories. It was really helpful hearing the seventeam’s opinions and comments on our stories, and it was also interesting to hear about what they were working on.
After the meeting, I realised that I really want to make a success of my story so I immediately started working and doing research. Sometimes you have to get a bit out of your comfort zone and do something you’ve never done before, but it’s all part of the experience! I went out to lunch with some of the other interns – it was really cool hearing what they were working on and getting to know them. When we got back, we all immediately started working again. I sent a few e-mails to some of my sources, did a bit of research and checked in with Rutendo (our intern editor!) every once in a while for a break. Oh, and I had a really delicious Black Cat Bar! I think I might be ready to start writing tomorrow. Yes! ☺”
– Danelle, editorial intern

“Today was so great. I arrived at the office well rested from the weekend. We had a meeting in the morning to discuss the next issue and what we are all working on. After the meeting we got straight to work until lunchtime.
At lunchtime, the rest of the girls and I stepped out of the office. It was sooo cold! But as we got used to the outside air, it got warmer. When I returned to the office, Bianca (the fashion assistant) and I went sourcing. We visited many shops in search of what we would need for a shoot we’re doing for the October issue. We found most of the things that we needed.
After this day, I am really tired and my feet are really sore from all that walking in the mall. Overall, I’d say that my day was GREAT! ☺”
– Lezanne, entertainment intern

“My first task of the day was to be write a cover letter for an email that goes out to various media houses but the information that I need will only be available once the magazine is released. This task would have required me to neaten up some documents before attaching it to an email with my cover letter and sending it off to clients. Let’s hope I can get the information soon because I am excited to write a cover letter that will be associated with seventeen magazine!
After working with Siham (the permanent PR and Events intern) for a little bit, I went to the Spar to grab some lunch with Ashleigh (another intern). On the way back we bumped into the other interns who were also out for lunch. Ashleigh and I then got back to the office and had our lunch together. Thereafter I continued to help Siham with the online newsletter and after completing my tasks she told me that I write well. *special moment*
I received some responses from the emails I sent this morning and I hope to receive a lot more by tomorrow. The other girls thought of taking a group photo of the interns but Lezanne was out so we put the photo on hold. Let’s hope that tomorrow we can get that photo because it is already 4pm! Shoo! This day went by quickly. I can’t believe it’s almost home time. No blue Mondays at seventeen magazine!
– Jodie, PR intern

No comments:

Post a Comment