21 July 2010

Goodie Bags and Launches

Launches, goodie bags and fashion shoots, the life of a seventeen intern isn’t all work behind a desk – there’s also tons of fun things to do during the 9 to 5! Today we said good bye to our Beauty Ed intern, Jess, but not before she had a chance to experience a life on shoot!


Leaping down the road!


What a lovely, sunny day. A for the beach, a mocktail and my polka dot bikini, but since life’s not a beach as it seems to be on the movies (I tend to dream a lot), there is work to be done.

I spent most of today laying out the Health/Body Peace section. I could do this forever aaah…all these fonts, pictures and colours remind me of being in a candy store, you just don’t know what to choose. There are so many questions and possibilities: Which colour? What picture? What font? It’s all so much fun, except I must admit, sitting behind a desk on this lovely sunny day is just sad. If I had things my way (there I go day dreaming again), I would be on the beach, chilling with my laptop, laying out and designing, sipping on a mocktail.

Ciao,
Donae, Art director intern



This morning Taugheedah, the fashion editor, asked if I wanted to take her place at the Clicks launch today. I said no thanks… Just kidding of course I said yes! Who in their right mind would say no to going to a launch?!

Bianca, assistant to the fashion editor, Angelique, fashion intern, and I went to the launch at the Clicks head office. It was amazing. We got to see the various new brands and packages they have for the December holidays. There were quite a few media companies there. After the presentation we got to see the products. Then we walked out of the show room into the foyer and there, awaiting our appetites, were the most amazing food dishes ever, decorated with rose petals. Believe me when I say there is an art to eating ‘finger foods’ in front of people. All those years of etiquette learning are not for nothing. On our way out we received gift boxes, which is filled with amazing goodies. ☺ I, like most girls I know, LOVE goodie bags.

After the amazing launch we went to Canal Walk. Every time I go there the shops still amaze me. It reminds me of the movie Confessions of a Shopahollic. We went to source some clothing for Bianca and Angelique’s tasks.

Then it was back to the office where I did some work and before I knew it, it was reflection time aka writing my blog time.

-Rutendo Nyamuda, editor’s intern


Feeling fashion inspired

Another day closer to the end of my time here at 17….soooo sad. I cannot believe that it’s been seven days since I started. Time seems to be flying so fast! But while I’m still here I plan on making the most out of this opportunity.

So today I finalised my GGL for the October issue and I’m ready to move on to my Voice Out. Gosh it’s quite challenging to actually put pen to paper or rather fingers on the keypad! I plan on writing about something that not only inspires me as a teen, but all those seventeeners out there as well.

Really excited to see all these things get published in October!!!

- Shaakirah, editorial intern

The best was saved for last.
Today was so much fun! We spent all day in studio at DIS studios in Bree Street shooting ‘The Seven Day Hair Guide’ and five of the couples that will be used in our ‘Best Boyfriends’ story.

The model we used for the seven different hairstyles was Sasha Lee from Boss Models. She worked really well with the camera because she was very confident, yet comfortable. My favourite look was the one we’re using for Saturday. Sasha wore a green and pink tie-dye vest and her hair was straight with a few waves in the front and a really cute hippy headband. After Sasha Lee, we began working with the couples. The boys were thoroughly disgusted when they were told they had to wear makeup (it was only foundation and powder ok?!) but the girls looked like they were really enjoying themselves. All the couples seemed really nervous at first when they stepped in front of the camera but then loosened up as they got used to being in the spotlight. It’s so adorable how each girl suits her boyfriend and vice versa – you could tell who belonged to whom so easily. Just as our second last couple finished, I had to leave. Genevieve gave me my Seventeen goodie bag filled with all sorts of makeup, sunglasses, earrings and lots more and gave me a big hug as we said goodbye.

Working at seventeen was truly one of the most amazing and worthwhile experiences in my life so far. I’ve learnt so much about the magazine industry and had a real fun time doing so! I am so unbelievably grateful to have had the opportunity to work with such a great team of strong and inspiring women as well as a bunch of awesome interns and I’m really going to miss the dynamic buzz of the Seventeen offices. However, this isn’t the last Seventeen will see of me – I’ll be back there on Monday for the beauty sale and then my shoot on Tuesday, and who knows, maybe I’ll even be working there one day? Here’s hoping!
- Jess, beauty intern



Enjoying the sun


Taking a lunchtime stroll

No comments:

Post a Comment