09 July 2010

Almost over….

It’s hard to believe that our first group of interns in the seventeen Intern Academy will soon be leaving us! It feels like it was yesterday we were all sitting in the boardroom, getting to know one another over breakfast. But although the time is almost over – there’s still work to be done!


Ah...to be an editor!

“I couldn’t get out of bed this morning and because of that I was 10 minutes late for work. I didn’t get into trouble or anything. But if there’s one thing I hate, it’s being late. (Rhyme ☺)

I thought the rest of my day would be down hill from there, but then I remembered where I am interning and I figured it wouldn’t be possible to have a bad day here. I just need to add a few more things to the careers spread sheet and my flow chart needs a little more flow. Jessica Manim, the deputy editor, and I are still having problems with Vodacom Color. Well the average person would find it weird that when we type in ‘Vodacom Color’ a German website pops up… Every year seventeen enters the ‘Media24 Magazines Excellence Awards’. This year Khwezi has asked Jessica Manim and me, yes me, to go through the past magazines to see which issues we will enter and what categories we will enter for. I am so excited. I am really enjoying these tasks.

We just voted for hot boys that will feature in the magazine. Let me just admit that there are some really fine boys out there. Why can’t I find just one for me… “Can any body find me… a hot boy to love?” Tomorrow is the last day of the 17 Academy for most of the girls here, besides Jess Stromin, the beauty intern, and myself. It’s going to be pretty sad to see the others go.
- Rutendo, editor intern

“Last night I finally received an e-mail from a Forensic Anthropologist. After being all stalkerish and sending e-mails to half of the world's Forensic Anthropologist asking them if they would answer a few questions for my article, all the trouble suddenly seemed worth it. I can't believe I'm almost done with my article. I can't believe I'm almost done interning... I can't believe I got to write my own article!
We started off the day with a meeting where we all got the chance to tell everyone what we're busy with. Khwezi asked Rutendo and me to stay and chat with her after the meeting... Ta dum ta dum ta dum... Haha! Okay, I was a little nervous, but it wasn't that bad at all. She read both our articles and just basically told us what's good about it and what she thinks would improve it. Tomorrow, Rutendo and I are going to be editing each other's work, because Khwezi wants us to see what the editing process is like. After all, that's why we're interning in the editorial department!
I'm really going to miss my fellow interns. We had the best lunch today- we went to a little cafe called Menu, and just sat there and chilled and laughed a bit. I can't believe I'm made such great friends in such a short time! After that, we all went straight back to work. We had a hottie meeting at the end of the day where we got to vote for who the hottest and the nottest SA and international celebs are. It was so much fun, I just stared at the pictures of guys the whole time - they're all soooo HOT! It was really difficult giving them each a rating out of ten - I thought all of them deserved "full marks" hehe. Oh, and we each got to keep one picture... of course I took Matt (Liam in 90210!) home with me.
Well, this has been quite an exciting and eventful day. Now I just got to put that finish touches on my article... wish me luck!!
- Danelle, editorial intern



Kayla hard at work

“I can’t believe my journey is nearly over! It feels like just yesterday I had started here. I guess the saying is true then: time flies when your having fun.
Today started with some eye candy for me as searched for more Justin Bieber pictures. I then sat in on a meeting for the interns to see how far we all are with our projects. It was announced that we have a half-day tomorrow and a breakfast to see us off. I’m so excited but also sad at the sad to say goodbye.
Then I had a break and chatted with the other interns before heading back to the office to search for more pictures. This time I had to find pictures of celebrities which was so much fun to do. Afterwards we had another meeting to vote who was hot or not for an up-coming issue. It was so much fun and I even got a picture of Taylor Lautner out of it. It’s so going up on my bedroom wall☺
And that was the end of my busiest day here at seventeen. But even though I was busy, I still had a blast…”
- Kayla, art director intern

“My day started off great, ready to do some work. Nothing new, I started off answering some oh boy questions. Like I said before, I feel like Dr.Phil! Haha. Later on, after finishing all that, it was time for lunch - walking down Somerset Road makes one feel as one is in New York City with crowds of people walking up and down. All six of the interns, including me, felt like we were the next Sex and The City girls, the way we walked to the shops and how we dress for work - it’s so much fun!! After some yummy lunch it was time to start working again. Did you know there will be a Mean Girls 2? I didn’t now I’m supa excited. Before home time we had a meeting with Khwezi and the ladies discussing all the overseas hotties and the local ones! Having a laugh with all of them really does make me happy to be here. It’s been amazing here and I’m very sad to be leaving tomorrow but I will never forget any of the wonderful people I met. Chat tomorrow.”
- Ashleigh, digital intern


Posing around the seventeen office!


Sourcing products for shoots is not always simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment