29 June 2011

A pathway to opportunity

My second day was as always, better than the first. I figured out a short way to walk to get to work – so I was here pretty early, and this time my hair and face were still in one piece.

Struggling with the lifts is a thing of the past and I can get to the bathrooms without pausing and looking left and right. I’m calling my colleagues by their right names and I’ve even added some of them on Facebook, *impressive stuff*.

So you could say I got everything I wanted out of day number two. Well, almost everything. I spent the day working on an article that had me captivated in a conversation with myself all day.

I researched alternatives that Matrics could take, instead of going to university. I was like what? You can’t be serious! Over the years I have deemed myself a chief advocate of varsity education, and now you want me to write an article about alternatives?

I couldn’t understand why someone wouldn’t go to university if they could afford to? This is what generations and generations of young ladies fought for, and now 21st century ladies are considering alternatives?

Don’t get me wrong, if it is impossible for you to go varsity for some reason – I won’t judge, but if you’re young and can go there, then you should try by any means possible to go to university.

Varsity isn’t just the pathway to riches of the earth, but it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. We live in a world where the best stuff is locked up, and unfortunately, the key to the door is in universities.

You can be successful without a university degree, but having it will open up so many channels to success. I sit here with my beautiful fellow seventeen magazine interns, we don’t have university degrees yet (and we’re still fabulous), but we’re all pursuing them. And for most of us, that’s the reason we’re here. For us, university isn’t everything, but it definitely is a pathway to opportunity.

Smooches,
Nandi

No comments:

Post a Comment