09 June 2009

sybil the star

Sybil Canda, 20, graduated from AAA School of Advertising last year. She’s passionate about writing, public speaking and making a difference in the world.

Monday 11 May 09
Do you sometimes get the feeling that you’re clueless about what you’re doing? Well, when I got to seventeen, funnily enough I didn’t. I’ve never worked at a magazine before but I’ve always dreamt of starting one with my sister Jessica. Helping out at seventeen brought me closer to my dream and made me want it even more. The first task I was given was to localise a story for the July Dance issue that they were using from the US Prom issue, so my job was to basically write "dance" instead of "prom"… heh heh, just kidding. I had to source local info relevant to SA teens and change a few things on the page. I love the bright white finish of the office – it makes me feel calm and ready to do my best. And not to mention the Apple Macs, they’re great to work on. At college, copywriters weren’t allowed to use Macs because they were only for art directors and graphic designers – I wish they could see me now typing away on this awesome computer! I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a great future for me ☺

Hard at work!

Tuesday 12 May 09
Today was fun, I think I’m getting used to the whole vibe here. I still have to pinch myself to really make sure I’m in the same room as the awesome team who make South African teens look forward to living a life full of fun and crazy excitement. This is a dream come true! I like the team: Khwezi, the editor, looks about 17 years old, in fact, everyone here looks 17. I’m 20 but sure look like I can do with a drink from the seventeen fountain of youth. What I noticed was that everyone here is unique. They each have their own unique personal style. No one looks like the other. I love this place! The office is so clean, fresh and welcoming.

Wednesday 13 May 09
I arrived an hour early today and thought to myself, Boy is Liza going to be impressed. But my short-lived joy is ruined by the fact that I forgot all my work in my dad’s car. I started to panic, the air-con was on high but I could feel the sweat running down my forgetful back, I don’t usually forget things! But everyone was so warm and friendly so I felt more at ease. A few hours later my dad showed up with my work in one hand and a Steers burger in the other (by the way he’s the super coolest dad ever!) Oh, and today we ate cake. Yummy! Wow still can’t believe I’m working at seventeen… Whoop whoop!

Thursday 14 May 09
Okay, so this is what I wanna do with my life – magazines are where my heart’s at baby (sorry, I do get carried away at times!) Every day I learn something new – it’s like my brain is being tattooed with information that I'll remember forever because I literally get to do such awesome things. Today I made a ring with Liza and Stacey – it was such fun I felt like a teenager again. I don’t know where these guys get their energy from! Check out p54 in the July issue, out 1 July to see our creation.
I wish this would last forever, I feel so at home, everyone is welcoming and it’s such a great environment to work in. I now know things I never knew before and I’ve explored a side in media that I never dreamt would come so soon. Thank heavens for this opportunity and thank God for this great exposure and experience.

Stacey and I going through all the knick knacks I brought to make the ring

Liza putting the finishing touches on my nails (bright pink polish!) so we could get a pretty shot of the ring on my finger

Friday 15 May 09
Today was fun, I was given the task to get some guys to judge pictures of celebs in different dress styles. So I went to the school where my aunt teaches, we chose a few guys, and boy were they funny (check out their answers on p47 in the July issue!) I love meeting new people and having fun with them. If you can't get enough of hot boys and what they think, check out Guys Talk on www.seventeen.co.za Later I had to finish off an article I started writing. By lunchtime I was starving, I left my lunch in the taxi and I’m sure that UCT drama student I was sitting next to in the taxi enjoyed my warm, hearty homemade cheese bread with mushrooms and mutton.

Hanging out with the boys at my aunt's school

That’s it guys. I feel like singing Duffy’s song “Warwick Avenue”, I’m leaving you for the last time… la la la. It sure feels like I’m breaking up with someone I love. Yes, I do love seventeen. Guess I’ll only see super Liza, incredible Khwezi and precious Pam in the magazine (extremely sad face). It was an honor and great pleasure working at seventeen. Keep it up and keep on making South Africa’s greatest magazine what it is, GREAT! Cheers guys, see you in the boardroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment